Software Engineer - Backend Infrastructure at Opendoor
United States of America
Founded in 2014, Opendoor’s mission is to empower everyone with the freedom to move. We believe the traditional real estate process is broken and our goal is simple: build a digital, end-to-end customer experience that makes buying and selling a home simple, certain and fast. We have assembled a dedicated team with diverse backgrounds to support more than 100,000 homes bought and sold with us and the customers who have selected Opendoor as a trusted partner in handling one of their largest financial transactions. But the work is far from over as we continue to grow in new markets. Transforming the real estate industry takes tenacity and dedication. It takes problem solvers and builders. It takes a tight knit community of teammates doing the best work of their lives, pushing one another to transform a complicated process into a simple one. So where do you fit in? Whether you’re passionate about real estate, people, numbers, words, code, or strategy -- we have a place for you. Real estate is broken. Come help us fix it.
About The Team
The Backend Infrastructure team works to empower developers with the tools, education, and processes to build high-quality services at Opendoor, optimizing for high quality and developer velocity. We support shared infrastructure like frameworks, application generators, and build pipeline tooling, and address shared concerns like code quality, security, testability, experimentation, to make sure that it is easy to collaborate and iterate based on customer needs.
We’re seeking an exceptional software engineer to join the Backend Infrastructure team and enable engineering teams to build new features efficiently and consistently across products. You'll play a key role in projects that not only enable engineers to build high-quality and reliable services but also impact the growth trajectory of the company.
- Implement tooling and drive initiatives to ensure best practices across teams as well as maximize developer productivity and experience
- Create infrastructure so teams can start building new backend applications without needing to know tricky configuration details
- Enable different backend engineering teams to be more productive by identifying similar features or tasks across teams and making improvements in backend service tooling
- Build tooling to provide teams with visibility into their test coverage and backend service performance
- 3+ years of applicable engineering experience
- Broad understanding of the whole engineering stack, with deep knowledge of backend technologies (different frameworks / tools and their tradeoffs)
- Focus on rapid delivery without sacrificing technical excellence
- Strong coding skills in one or more languages - we mostly write Go, Python, and Ruby at Opendoor, but experience with others is also valuable
- Care for modular, performant, and testable code
- A sense of ownership and a passion for delighting teammates through innovation and creative solutions to complex problems
Bonus points if
- You love improving the efficiency and productivity of your fellow engineers and think of them as your customers
- Experience building for a microservice environment
- Familiarity with networking, AWS infrastructure, Docker, Nginx and Kubernetes
- Experience with building on and configuring CI/CD tooling such as CircleCI, Travis, or Concourse
- A passion for learning new technologies and different ways to solve problems