Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability Engineering at Opendoor
United States of America
Founded in 2014, Opendoor’s mission is to empower everyone with the freedom to move. We believe the traditional real estate process is broken and our goal is simple: build a digital, end-to-end customer experience that makes buying and selling a home simple, certain and fast. We have assembled a dedicated team with diverse backgrounds to support more than 100,000 homes bought and sold with us and the customers who have selected Opendoor as a trusted partner in handling one of their largest financial transactions. But the work is far from over as we continue to grow in new markets. Transforming the real estate industry takes tenacity and dedication. It takes problem solvers and builders. It takes a tight knit community of teammates doing the best work of their lives, pushing one another to transform a complicated process into a simple one. So where do you fit in? Whether you’re passionate about real estate, people, numbers, words, code, or strategy -- we have a place for you. Real estate is broken. Come help us fix it.
About The Team
Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) at Opendoor fills the mission-critical role of ensuring that our monolith and micro services are healthy, monitored, automated, and designed to scale. You will use your background as an operations generalist to work closely with our development teams from the early stages of design all the way through identifying and resolving production issues that relate to infrastructure. The ideal candidate will be passionate about an operations role that involves deep knowledge of both the application and the product, and will also believe that automation is a key component to operating our monolith and micro services in a Kubernetes compute environment.
We’re looking for a talented Senior Site Reliability Engineer to join our Platform Engineering team. You will work closely with developers and engineering managers from the developer experience team as well as product facing engineering teams.
- Diagnose and fix technical problems rooted in any of our web services.
- Define and roll out best practices to prevent issues from happening or reduce damage when they happen.
- Work closely with product teams to ensure that products/services are architected with scalability, availability, reliability and operability in mind.
- Act in key support roles during major incidents and participate in the technical review of the incidents.
- Strong adaptability to pick up unknowns quickly and work on various components of different web services.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Unwavering commitment to best practices and operational security.
- Strong ownership and responsibility.
- 5+ years of experience with provisioning, development, deployment and operations for large-scale web services.
- Solid understanding of Unix fundamentals.
- Capability to script with Bash and Python.
- Experience with modern cloud computing platforms (AWS or equivalent)
- Experience with container technology (Docker or equivalent, k8s or equivalent).
- Experience with monitoring solutions (e.g. Datadog).
- Moderate experience with TCP/IP networking.
- Practical experience managing databases, such as Postgres, MySQL.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Ability to participate in a 24/7 on-call rotation.
Bonus points if
- BS/MS in Computer Science
- Willingness to challenge the status quo
For CO Residents Only, and in accordance with C.R.S. Sec. 8-5-101 et seq., the estimated base salary range for this role is $117,000 - $224,000 per year. The estimated range is meant to reflect an anticipated salary range for the position in question based upon market data and other factors, all of which are subject to change. Individual pay is based upon location, skills and expertise, experience, and other relevant factors. For questions about this, our pay philosophy, and other available benefits, please speak to the recruiter if you decide to apply for the role and are selected for an interview.
More About Us
To learn how we are reinventing the Real Estate industry check out our website, to hear about our culture directly from team members visit The Muse and to discover what we are building for our customers read our blog posts.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks
• Full medical, dental, and vision with optional 85% coverage for dependents
• Flexible vacation policy
• Generous parental leave
• Paid time off to volunteer
Please note that these benefits and perks are available only to Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor Values Openness