Vice President of Data Engineering at Built Technologies
Nashville, TN, US
Built is a growth-stage company at the intersection of FinTech and PropTech. We are on a mission to change the way the world gets built with technology and services that streamline the $1.3T U.S. construction industry. We strive to empower lenders, owners, builders, and vendors with innovative software, payment products & services that enable participants to manage risk, maximize productivity and collaboration to ensure better cost management as capital flows into and throughout the construction industry. Founded in 2015, Built now serves more than 140 of the top financial institutions in the US and Canada, including 35+ of the top 100 US construction lenders.
In addition to our recent $125M Series D funding and $1.5B valuation, we’re proud to have been named one of Forbes’ Top 100 Startup Employers in America for 2021. Bringing on the “best talent in the world” is at the forefront of our continued growth trajectory—and we want you to be part of it.
Built Technologies is seeking a passionate VP of Data Engineering with a proven track record of managing and growing teams. This position will play a critical role in shaping and driving our long-term growth and establishing Built’s position as the world's leading construction finance company. The role will work closely with Built leadership, product, engineering, and go-to-market teams to tackle hard problems in data architecture and data science leveraging the latest technologies including AWS Dynamo, MySQL, Snowflake, Looker, and more.
This role is located in our Nashville, TN headquarters.
What You'll Do:
- This role will be responsible for setting the vision, strategy, and tactics necessary to drive the roadmap and deliver amazing Insights for all clients in our ecosystem.
- Hire, inspire, and grow data engineering teams in order to fuel business growth and meet the needs of this rapidly expanding business function.
- The role will partner with other leaders to implement and operationalize enterprise analytics, intelligence, and data science platforms across the company.
- As the VP of Data Engineering, you communicate with transparency and clarity at every level of the organization, with clients, and with the general public.
- Cooperatively develop, own, and lead the technical roadmap aligned with our company vision.
- Strategically assess new opportunities and develop alignment around these.
- Recruit, lead, and mentor teams of talented data professionals, overseeing data engineering, business intelligence, QA, and solution architecture.
- Establish and evangelize best practices, frameworks, and processes across data engineering.
- Oversee the technical strategy and architecture across data integrations, data lake, data warehousing, and other source databases.
- Lead metadata management efforts that enable how data will be used for business reporting and analytics.
- Drive the implementation of data governance, data privacy and security related processes.
- Develop strong relationships with Analytics leaders across the company to improve how data is leveraged.
- Drive technical innovation by exploring new platforms and technologies, uncovering new use cases with data, and staying current with the data landscape.
- Lead and manage the engagement with technical partners including offshore, consulting, and vendors.
- Manage the budget and vendor process for the data platform and engineering programs.
- Ensure a consistent customer and user experience across the product portfolio
- Increase and maintain the performance, scalability, and quality of the company data infrastructure.
Who You Are:
- Customer obsessed: you are driven to maximize customer value derived from our software and services with the goal of producing an experience that is an order of magnitude greater than what the industry has available today
- Technical leader: your skills and knowledge are current because you have been contributing in meaningful ways to technical teams even as you’ve advanced in leadership roles
- Long term thinker: you should have a long term view of where the teams are headed. You should also possess the ability to think strategically and craft a high level narrative to sell the vision and opportunity
- Amazing Analyst: you have the capability and proven track record of leveraging data to proactively identify opportunities and drive decisions
- Team Leadership: you have at least 5 years experience leading engineering teams, leading leaders, and find comfort in being accountable for the design and quality of the engineered product, and the support of the product in a broad customer base
- Technologist: you have a solid understanding of microservices, APIs, SDLC, AWS, and more
- Experienced: you have eight or more years of experience working with and leading data teams and technology
The rare opportunity to radically disrupt an industry
Competitive benefits including uncapped vacation; health, dental & vision insurance; and 401k
Holistic compensation package including base salary, bonus, and equity
Learning grants to support your professional development
Our company is made up of passionate people who are driven in a variety of disciplines—and each of them bring their unique perspective to everything they do. Creating a safe and inclusive workplace is critical to the success of our company and of our employees, so it’s our aim to recruit, hire and promote without bias against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law. As we learn and as we grow, we’re committed to ensuring that these ideals are at the forefront of everything we do.