Legal Analyst at Notarize
At Notarize, we’re pulling the future closer, bringing industries like real estate, automotive, and financial services into the digital age. We’re the first company to complete a legal online notarization, online mortgage closing, online will, online auto sale, and countless other critical transactions.
We’re proud to play an integral role for our customers -- from individuals to major enterprises -- in making life’s most important moments better.
Our business has grown exponentially (over 600%!) in the past year. In September 2021 we came in at #114 on Inc.’s list of the 5000 fastest-growing companies in the nation. We raised an additional $130 million in Series D funding in March of this year -- backed by industry behemoths like Capital G/Google, Citi, and Wells Fargo -- and we recently announced a major strategic partnership with Adobe.
Notarize is the pioneer and market leader in Remote Online Notarization (RON), and we’re building the team that will operate a critical platform in tomorrow’s fully-remote economy. Come join us!
Notarize is proud to be a fully-distributed, remote-first team. Employees can work from anywhere in the United States -- all 50 states and D.C too.
Notarize is looking for a thoughtful, communicative, curious, and motivated individual to join our remote-first Product Compliance team as a Legal Analyst. In this role, you will focus on conducting research, developing requirements, and creating documentation to guide the creation of a legally compliant remote online notarization (RON) platform. You’ll work with leaders and teams across the organization as you assist in streamlining processes to foster effective cross-functional collaboration.
Notarize is improving the way businesses and individuals execute the most important transactions of their lives, including real estate, institutional investment/retirement, insurance, healthcare, and wealth management transactions, among others. This requires us to understand and evaluate a host of existing federal and state laws, rules and licensing regimes as well as a host of federal, state and local customs and practices, and to apply them in a compliant way in the context of a digital and online process. We’re looking for someone who can rapidly become the subject matter expert on all relevant legal matters and serve as a helpful resource to internal and external stakeholders.
This dynamic and pivotal role is great for a candidate who wants hands-on experience helping a legal tech startup company scale against an expansive vision.
As our Legal Analyst, you will:
- Conduct significant core legal research (primary areas of focus are notarial, electronic signatures and records, privacy, & data protection laws & regulations) to identify critical legal authority on specific issues, making fine-grain, qualitative judgments of legal content.
- Assist in the prioritization of potential product and engineering solutions based on your understanding of the relevant legal requirements.
- Maintain documentation explaining these requirements and solutions to members of product/engineering and other internal teams.
- Help resolve legal questions that arise during the development of product features and functionalities.
- Collaborate with fellow team members on projects and proposals associated with legal research and product usage.
- Offer creative solutions to sensitive issues using a multi-disciplined approach.
What we’re looking for:
- A JD with at least 3+ years of relevant experience in a fast-paced professional legal or policy environment.”
- Significant experience researching and explaining complex legal and technical concepts.
- Ability to interpret, analyze, organize, and express complex legal material quickly and accurately while prioritizing multiple projects simultaneously in a quickly changing environment.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize competing demands and deadlines while maintaining high attention to detail.
- Tech savviness (experience with Confluence and Jira are a plus).
- A demonstrated willingness to be part of an egoless, “all hands on deck” team, doing whatever is needed to move the business forward.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, with an ability to interact professionally and effectively across the organization.
- Flexibility and enthusiasm for working on a wide variety of projects, some of which may be outside of your direct experience.
Some of our benefits:
- Competitive salaries & equity
- Heavily subsidized medical, dental, and vision
- 401k with 4% match
- Unlimited PTO & flexible work schedules
- Fully-distributed team: work from anywhere in the U.S.
- Paid parental leave
- Annual budget for personal learning & development
- Small, cross-functional teams
- Strong emphasis on collaboration & mentorship
- Paid lunches (through Grubhub) + regular Lunch & Learn sessions
Our core values:
- Solve Problems That Matter: We serve some of the most important moments in people's lives. It's a responsibility we embrace by focusing obsessively on the issues that will have a quantifiable impact on our customers and our company growth.
- Yes Before No: We are optimistic about our ability to change lives by transforming outmoded processes. We believe our efforts can create a better future, and it is our attitude that will allow us to pull that future closer.
- Start With Why: We don't presume to understand the intentions of the people around us, whether coworkers or customers. We ask honest questions and listen to feedback in order to gain insight, build trust, and create memorable experiences.
- Stamp Together: We create a strong team and a welcoming workplace by valuing diverse perspectives. Every role in our organization is supported and valued equally, without regard to location or background.
Notarize is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We'd love to hear from you.