Director, Government Affairs at Notarize
At Notarize, we’re pulling the future closer, bringing industries like real estate, automotive, and financial services into the digital age. We’re the first company to complete a legal online notarization, online mortgage closing, online will, online auto sale, and countless other critical transactions.
We’re proud to play an integral role for our customers -- from individuals to major enterprises -- in making life’s most important moments better.
Our business has grown exponentially (over 600%!) in the past year. In September 2021 we came in at #114 on Inc.’s list of the 5000 fastest-growing companies in the nation. We raised an additional $130 million in Series D funding in March of this year -- backed by industry behemoths like Capital G/Google, Citi, and Wells Fargo -- and we recently announced a major strategic partnership with Adobe.
Notarize is the pioneer and market leader in Remote Online Notarization (RON), and we’re building the team that will operate a critical platform in tomorrow’s fully-remote economy. Come join us!
Notarize is proud to be a fully-distributed, remote-first team. Employees can work from anywhere in the United States -- all 50 states and D.C too.
The Notarize Public Affairs Team is seeking a motivated, innovative, and well-connected individual to engage with public officials in the western states and provide insight on policy issues that directly impact our company and the technology industry as a whole.
Collaborating with Notarize’s other internal and external facing teams, the Government Affairs Director will report to the AVP, Head of Government Affairs; assist in developing meaningful policies; and advocate with elected officials to ensure that public sector decision-making complements private sector innovation. This position is located within driving distance of Sacramento, California.
What you’ll do as a Government Affairs Director at Notarize:
- Assist in developing and executing government affairs advocacy objectives priorities for Notarize before state and local governments in western states, including California, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Arizona and others as appropriate.
- Identify and communicate potential public sector opportunities and threats, develop improvement or mitigation strategies and policy positions.
- Drive and coordinate external advocacy efforts, outreach programs and key initiatives in concert with Notarize business objectives.
- Facilitate high-level meetings between Notarize leadership and key partners, including policymakers and executives, industry associations, and alliance partners to promote and advocate for the company’s public policies.
- Direct and manage Notarize consultants and lobbyists in the western states, where applicable.
- Work collaboratively with Notarize’s internal teams to ensure alignment between core business priorities and regulatory goals.
What we’re looking for:
- 5 years+(or equivalent experience) of working with or for state legislative or executive branch experience.
- Understanding of and background in advocacy and issue development pertaining to technology policies, such as government, digital identity, data protection and digital inclusion.
- Highly effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills; ability to efficiently and comfortably interact at highest corporate, state and local government levels.
- Maintain the highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality and integrity, with the strongest professional reputation in the industry.
- Self-starter with a proven track record of successfully working with a wide array of functional groups across an organization and cultures.
- Capable of working both independently and as part of a broader team with internal and external partners as needed.
- Ability to influence and persuade others is required. Must be flexible and demonstrate excellent judgment/decision-making skills, and political acuity.
Some of our benefits:
- Competitive salaries & equity
- Heavily subsidized medical, dental, and vision
- Unlimited PTO & flexible work schedules
- Paid parental leave
- Annual budget for personal learning & development
- Small, cross-functional teams
- Strong emphasis on collaboration & mentorship
- Paid lunches (through Grubhub) & regular Lunch & Learn sessions
Our core values:
- Solve Problems That Matter: We serve some of the most important moments in people's lives. It's a responsibility we embrace by focusing obsessively on the issues that will have a quantifiable impact on our customers and our company growth.
- Yes Before No: We are optimistic about our ability to change lives by transforming outmoded processes. We believe our efforts can create a better future, and it is our attitude that will allow us to pull that future closer.
- Start With Why: We don't presume to understand the intentions of the people around us, whether coworkers or customers. We ask honest questions and listen to feedback in order to gain insight, build trust, and create memorable experiences.
- Stamp Together: We create a strong team and a welcoming workplace by valuing diverse perspectives. Every role in our organization is supported and valued equally, without regard to location or background.
Notarize is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We'd love to hear from you.