Senior Counsel, Commercial Transactions at Notarize
At Notarize, we’re pulling the future closer. As the first company to complete a legal online notarization, online mortgage closing, online will, online auto sales, and countless other critical transactions, we’re proud of our role in bringing industries into the digital age.
Our business has grown exponentially (over 600%) in the past year, as companies in a wide variety of industries look to us to help their customers get crucial legal transactions processed remotely. We’ve been dealing with a number of challenging (but interesting!) scalability issues, as more and more global enterprise companies look to Notarize to help them speed up business processes and provide better customer service in a new, fully-remote world. We’re building the team that will operate a critical platform company in tomorrow’s economy. Come join us!
Notarize is proud to be a fully-distributed team. Employees can work from anywhere in the United States - all 50 states and D.C too.
As an integral part of our lean legal power team, you'll report to our AVP, Commercial Transactions and work closely with "client teams" across the organization - from Product and Engineering to Sales, Marketing, and Senior Leadership.
As our Senior Counsel, you will:
- Structure, draft, and negotiate a high volume of contracts with a focus on enterprise level technology transactions (e.g. SaaS and PaaS). Most, if not all, of that experience should be in the real estate industry.
- Partner with business and technical teams to lead, negotiate and finalize commercial agreements. Concisely explain legal terms, identify related risks and set and execute tactics to achieve the most favorable, risk-mitigated results.
- Triage a heavy workflow, setting appropriate priorities with internal clients and delivering results efficiently.
- Lead and support the continual effort to streamline the contracting process by improving existing contract templates, playbooks and processes, with an emphasis on efficiency and scalability. Monitor and update contracts required to comply with state and federal law, regulatory requirements.
- Conduct due diligence on third party service providers.
- Be a utility player. Take on opportunities and add value as needed in practice areas beyond commercial transactions.
- Stay current on industry, commercial, intellectual property, open source, privacy and other laws, regulations, and developments to be able to give the most effective advice.
What we're looking for:
- A JD with 8+ years experience. Must be admitted and in good standing in any US jurisdiction.
- Hands-on experience as an in-house attorney at a tech/SaaS company, or experience working for tech clients.
- Significant transaction experience, negotiating a wide variety of commercial contracts with a focus on technology or software related agreements. Experience negotiating enterprise contracts is a plus. At least five (5) years of transactional experience in the real estate industry.
- Must have a deep understanding of RESPA (Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act). Should be ability to spot risks related to RESPA, explain those risks to senior leaders and draft contractual provisions to protect against those risks.
- Comfort drafting and negotiating a wide variety of contracts, such as MSAs, NDAs, SOWs and other agreements; experience negotiating reseller agreements is a plus!
- Ability to translate between business and technical risk and communicate clearly to business and technical partners within the organization.
- Demonstrated startup initiative - ability to self-manage, find creative ways to work through barriers, actively learn necessary skills, and manage projects to completion with minimal supervision.
- Proven communication and presentation skills - ability to collaborate with a wide variety of stakeholders (internal teams, customers, regulators, partners, etc.) on legal and regulatory compliance issues.
Some of our benefits:
- Competitive salaries & equity
- Heavily subsidized medical, dental, and vision
- 401k with 4% match
- Unlimited PTO & flexible work schedules
- Fully-distributed team: work from anywhere in the U.S.
- Paid parental leave
- Annual budget for personal learning & development
- Small, cross-functional teams
- Strong emphasis on collaboration & mentorship
- Paid lunches (through Grubhub) + regular Lunch & Learn sessions
Our core values:
- Solve Problems That Matter: We serve some of the most important moments in people's lives. It's a responsibility we embrace by focusing obsessively on the issues that will have a quantifiable impact on our customers and our company growth.
- Yes Before No: We are optimistic about our ability to change lives by transforming outmoded processes. We believe our efforts can create a better future, and it is our attitude that will allow us to pull that future closer.
- Start With Why: We don't presume to understand the intentions of the people around us, whether coworkers or customers. We ask honest questions and listen to feedback in order to gain insight, build trust, and create memorable experiences.
- Stamp Together: We create a strong team and a welcoming workplace by valuing diverse perspectives. Every role in our organization is supported and valued equally, without regard to location or background.
Notarize is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We'd love to hear from you.