Senior Release Engineer - Cloud Infrastructure at Notarize
At Notarize, we’re pulling the future closer. As the first company to complete a legal online notarization, online mortgage closing, online will, online auto sales, and countless other critical transactions, we’re proud of our role in bringing industries into the digital age.
Our business has grown exponentially (over 600%) in the past year, as companies in a wide variety of industries look to us to help their customers get crucial legal transactions processed remotely. We’ve been dealing with a number of challenging (but interesting!) scalability issues, as more and more global enterprise companies look to Notarize to help them speed up business processes and provide better customer service in a new, fully-remote world. We’re building the team that will operate a critical platform company in tomorrow’s economy. Come join us!
Notarize is proud to be a fully-distributed team. Employees can work from anywhere in the United States - all 50 states and D.C too.
We are looking for a Senior Release Engineer who will have primary responsibility in transforming our weekly release cycle to daily releases with an eye toward implementing a true CI/CD pipeline. We are looking for a talented, seasoned engineer who can hit the ground running, to help design, develop, and eventually maintain the systems that allow us to scale as we grow. You will ensure that our release process is robust and that fallbacks can happen quickly and easily, if needed. You will collaborate with other engineers across multiple teams to build automation and to make deploying our large-scale distributed system simple. You will mentor & educate others in the infrastructure you help to build and improve and on CI/CD best practices.
- The main pieces of our back-end stack are Ruby on Rails, AWS RDS and S3 for persistence, Redis/Sidekiq and Heroku for running the workload. We are migrating from Heroku to AWS ECS. On the front-end we use JS/TS on React and GraphQL with Apollo, but we consider ourselves platform agnostic. Notarize platform offers a powerful REST API for integrations, which is a centerpiece of our scaling strategy.
- A willingness to learn and experiment with new tech is much more important than hands-on experience with our current stack. Most importantly, we want thoughtful, collaborative engineers who are comfortable adapting to new technology and new opportunities. We are solving complex challenges to scale our transactional volume to 10x, 100x, or even more to meet the rapid growth of the company.
What you’ll do as the Release Engineer at Notarize:
- Implement improvements to our deployments to facilitate daily, or more frequent, deployments.
- Partner with engineers to envision, implement and improve the current deployment process and identify cross-project dependencies.
- Champion & implement CI/CD best practices as well as monitor for failures and enforce best practices.
- Help set standards for services and software to streamline test and release cycles and improve system maintenance.
- Develop automated solutions to monitor and alert performance & stability in our cloud systems.
- Mentor the engineering team regarding best DevOps practices or solving complex problems.
- Identify and troubleshoot technical or systems issues.
- Support our SDLC through automation, tooling, and monitoring.
What we’re looking for:
- 5+ years experience in public cloud infrastructure (AWS preferred) or equivalent experience.
- Experience with containers (Docker) and Terraform.
- Working knowledge of automation pipelines and other CI/CD, DevOps tools.
- Experience with configuration management and continuous deployment.
- Experience designing and deploying scalable, highly-available and secure systems.
Bonus points for:
- Experience with APMs such as New Relic, Datadog, Sumo Logic, etc.
- Experience with Kubernetes.
- Experience with various public cloud platforms: Heroku, GCP, etc.
- Experience managing and fine tuning persistence services, such as RDBMS (Postgres preferred), Redis, Elasticsearch, NoSQL, etc.
Some of our benefits:
- Competitive salaries & equity
- Heavily subsidized medical, dental, and vision
- 401k with 4% match
- Unlimited PTO & flexible work schedules
- Fully-distributed team: work from anywhere in the U.S.
- Paid parental leave
- Annual budget for personal learning & development
- Small, cross-functional teams
- Strong emphasis on collaboration & mentorship
- Paid lunches (through Grubhub) + regular Lunch & Learn sessions
Notarize is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We'd love to hear from you.