- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Engineering Hardware
- Industry: Hardware
- Post Date: 11/24/2022
- Website: 3dfortify.com
- Company Address: 510 Rutherford Ave, Suite One , Boston, MA , 02129
About FortifyFortify is transforming the 3D printing industry with its patented DCM (Digital Composite Manufacturing) platform. DCM delivers new levels of additively manufactured part performance by introducing aligned reinforcing fibers.
As a Director of Mechanical Engineering, you will manage a team that is directly responsible for developing, testing and maintaining the design of Fortify’s 3D printers. You will interface with a highly interdisciplinary engineering team to deliver integrated electromechanical systems. The Director of Mechanical Engineering will drive architectural decisions related to mechanical design, manage mechanical engineering requirements and execution, and implement best practices.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee mechanical design and documentation through the entire product life cycle.
- Directly manage 4+ Mechanical Engineers, ranging in experience from Junior to Principal.
- Lead strategic hiring to support design of the next generation of Fortify products.
- Perform project management duties for the Mechanical team’s tasks and product initiatives.
- Define mechanical engineering requirements to meet product requirements.
- Collaborate with manufacturing, embedded, software, process, materials and applications teams to identify new product requirements and facilitate cross-functional communication.
- Contribute regularly to system design brainstorms, design reviews, and architectural design of Fortify systems.
- Advise product strategy for current and next-generation machines.
- Expected to work from the Fortify office 3 days per week to promote a high productivity environment.
- 10+ years developing complex electromechanical products from concept through production. While design is not the role’s focus, candidate is expected to present a design portfolio from past experience.
- Background in robotics, additive manufacturing, or similar. Advanced understanding of electromechanical systems.
- Experience with sustaining engineering of products in the field.
- Effective leadership with an ability to drive engineering decision-making across an organization.
- Ability to manage up, down, and laterally across teams.
- Capable of balancing company needs with team career growth.
- Experience attracting, developing and retaining top technical talent.
- Strong understanding of CAD including parametric master modeling.
- Strong command of hierarchical BOMs and PLM systems.
Highly desirable additional skills
- Experience designing B2B industrial equipment.
- Professional experience at Series A – Series C funded startups.
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary and equity stake in a fast-growing business
- Premium Medical and Dental
- FSA and Commuter Benefits available
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO/WFH Policies
- Participation in bringing game changing technology to the world
Please note that benefits will be different for hourly positions.
Our offices are located in the heart of Charlestown within Hood Park and directly next to the Hood milk stack. The park is currently undergoing a major transformation to include retail, dining, and green space (check out the plans https://hoodpark.com/).
Think you have what it takes, but don’t check every box? Please apply anyway! Let’s chat— you could bring just the perspective we needed.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.