DevOps Engineer at Notarize
Boston, MA, US
Our business has grown exponentially the past few months, as companies in a wide variety of industries look to us to help their customers get crucial legal transactions processed remotely. We’ve been dealing with a number of challenging (but interesting!) scalability issues, and along with that it’s time to invest more resources in our infrastructure and deployment processes. That’s where you come in!
As our first hire into the DevOps practice at Notarize, you'll partner with Product Engineering, On-Call, Infosec, and IT to run our flagship products in the cloud. You will own the automated deployment and monitoring of our apps, and provide leadership in improving and enhancing our processes. We have ambitions to finish our compliance projects, to improve our DR stance, to upgrade critical elements of our cloud deployment - and much more! While you will not be carrying the pager, the on-call and release engineers will look up to you to solve tactical and long term platform stability and improvement challenges.
-We use modern stack applications deployed to AWS, Heroku and GCP. We rely on a highly automated CI/CD pipeline. We use Terraform to describe and deploy large portions of our presence in AWS.
-Kubernetes, AWS EKS, ECS
-Ruby on Rails
-Postgres / AWS RDS
If you have exposure to any of these technologies, great! If not, consider this an opportunity to learn more about them.
Note: As all Notarize employees across the country are currently working from home, this will begin as a fully remote/work from home position, but we’d ideally like someone in the Boston area so that you can be embedded with the product team when our offices reopen.
What you’ll do as our DevOps Engineer:
- Manage our methods of deployment and the processes & tools required to execute those deployments
- Maintain, improve, and update our deployment/AWS/GCP/Docker infrastructure
- Create failure management processes and tools so outages can be handled without causing a loss of delivery
- Implement & refine our testing strategy for CI/CD
- Design and implement backup/restore & DR strategy
- Identify bottlenecks and vulnerabilities in our infrastructure and help define remedies and infrastructure additions
- Research emerging tools and trends, championing changes to our tech and processes that improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the development team
- Document processes and user guides for integrated tools and scripts
What we're looking for:
- Experience designing & maintaining secure SaaS platforms using AWS & key services (EC2, S3, RDS, KMS, networking / load balancing, monitoring)
- Demonstrated familiarity with security best practices (PKI, infosec, compliance)
- Hands-on expertise with deployment and configuration technologies
- Solid understanding of CI/CD approach and tools
- Experience with business continuity best practices - establishing and maintaining DR, on-call
- Desire to build quality products and an appreciation for good unit testing
- An action-oriented approach to getting things done, and an ability to balance day-to-day tasks with long-term projects
- Effective communication skills and a thoughtful approach to collaboration
- Authorization to work in the U.S. (we are unable to sponsor work visas at this time, unfortunately)
Our Engineering Culture:
- Learn it: Notarize has a strong focus on mentorship, with regular 1:1s, reviews, and check-ins to ensure that you are learning & growing as an engineer. Your manager will help you set personal goals, support your learning, and track your progress against those goals, to encourage you in the growth of your career, wherever it may take you.
- Communicate it: You'll be part of a small, cross-functional team (no silos) with a highly collaborative process that values thoughtful communication, not just with other engineers but with all parts of the organization.
- Ship it: We have a tight deployment cycle, releasing to production weekly, with interim builds to testing environments. All builds depend on continuous, automated end-to-end integration tests.
- Fix it: We’re a small startup with big plans, and there’s so much to do. Whether it’s an antiquated legal process, an edge-case user interaction, a quirky piece of code, or a desk that hasn’t been put together yet, we show up every day with the goal of digging in and leaving something better than we found it.
Some of our benefits:
- Competitive salaries & equity
- Heavily subsidized medical, dental, and vision
- Unlimited PTO & flexible work schedules
- Paid parental leave
- Small, cross-functional teams
- Strong emphasis on collaboration & mentorship
- Paid lunches (through Grubhub) & regular Lunch & Learn sessions
- Fun & easily accessible location (Back Bay, right near the Pru) (when the office is actually open, which it hopefully be will be at some point this fall)
Notarize is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We'd love to hear from you.