Senior Business Operations Manager at Opendoor
San Francisco, CA, US
Are you intrigued by the thought of disrupting a trillion dollar industry through technology? At Opendoor, we’re on a mission to make it simple to buy and sell homes. The traditional process is broken, with an average home taking over 90 days to sell and costing thousands of dollars. We empower everyone with the freedom to move by making buying and selling a home stress-free and instant. We’ve built an exceptional team, seen strong growth, served nearly 75,000 customers (with an annual run rate of $5 billion), and raised $1.3 billion in funding. With Covid-19, the world is changing, and real estate is no exception. The coming years present a tremendous opportunity for innovation as we explore new frontiers and scale nationwide.
About the team
In the past five years, Opendoor has expanded rapidly to 21 cities and buys and sells billions of dollars of homes per year. But, our vision is to empower everyone with the freedom to move, which necessitates making the Opendoor experience more affordable, consistent, and customer friendly in existing markets, while we also expand our coverage into new markets.
The Operations Excellence team empowers the Operations leadership team to define and execute their foundational initiatives that enable Opendoor’s future growth. We make both linear and step change improvements to continue to elevate how we serve customers across all of our existing markets, and expand our core platform and adjacent products (e.g., Buy with Opendoor, Mortgage) to additional markets. We combine biz ops, product ops, launch and analytics and engage with a wide range of teams across the company, but define ourselves by our mission, not functionally. We are an extremely goal-oriented team with a big mission (but we love big missions).
- Own strategic projects to improve our operations, and help scale them across the business. You’ll be responsible for driving initiatives end-to-end: You will partner with functions to execute your recommendation, and won’t rest until you’ve successfully driven the organization to solve the problem. Infrastructure that you’ll help build include performance metrics and management processes; tooling / product; and new operational processes.
- Connect and advocate for teams across the company: You’ll be a key point of contact between leaders in our Market Operations, CX, and EPD (Engineering, Product, Design) teams located in cities across the country. Your role will be highly collaborative: you’ll work across our functions to make sure the needs of each team are surfaced and heard at the executive level, and that these teams remain aware of everything happening cross-functionally. You’ll frequently be the conduit between engineering and product teams and teams leading home renovations in the field, and need to be at ease working with both.
- Provide decision making support and thought leadership to the Operations leadership team. You will use both qualitative and quantitative data to drive insights - the “what”, and most importantly the “so what” to help ensure that our organization is moving in the right direction.
- Manage change across Operations Orgs: As a company, we’re moving fast: We recognize that “what got us here, won’t get us there” and that we need to constantly iterate to make our operations as smooth and efficient as they can be. From time to time, those changes will include changes in our tech tools, changes in our processes, or changes in our organizational structure. We recognize that each of those changes can impact the day-to-day of many people in the division, and you’ll be at the forefront of rolling out those changes.
- Standup new markets: Develop a deep understanding of the market and communicate actionable insights that inform our launch and go-to-market decisions. You will spend time speaking to locals, industry players, and potential partners, and analyze data to validate your hypotheses.
- Standup local operations including overseeing all of the cross-functional activities that contribute to launching a market, hiring and onboarding people on the ground, and developing feedback loops to ensure that local nuances are incorporated into our processes.
- Both a systems thinker and a “doer”: you’re a strategic thinker who can go deep on a business and understand its core drivers; you’re also biased to action and know that the true test of an idea comes when we try it out in the real world.
- Quantitative and data driven: you’re eager and able to drive insights to the business using data. You’re experienced in designing analyses to prove or disprove hypotheses, and you look to data not only for the “what” (“what’s happening in our business?”) but the “so what” (“why does this matter and what is it telling us about potential next steps?”). Equally important: you understand that “data” doesn’t always exist in a spreadsheet, and you’re excited to talk to customers and get on the ground to understand how different markets work.
- A creative problem solver: You have a proven track record of thinking “outside the box” to solve complicated and multi-faceted problems. You think top-down, bottoms-up and from multiple angles to make sure we’re being exhaustive in the way we evaluate our business.
- Highly collaborative: You’re excited about working across all of our regions and across all levels of the organization: with our leadership team, our functions, our GMs, and our city operations teams. You’re a strong communicator with the ability to motivate and inspire cross-functional teams.
- Customer-first: You care about our customers, and you understand that we exist, first and foremost, to serve a customer need. Selling a home is stressful and emotional, affecting a our customers’ largest asset. You’re mindful of that in everything that you and the team do.
- Hungry and energetic: You’re determined to hit ambitious goals and can rally a team and our organization behind them.
- A leader: you can inspire confidence in new teams or the organization as a whole, and establish followership to drive your initiatives forward. You have the humility to “flex up and down” and roll up your sleeves where needed to build momentum for the team.
More About Us
Want to learn more about us and how we are revolutionizing the home buying and selling process? Learn more about us on our website, check out our profile on The Muse to learn more about our culture from our team members, or read our blog posts to hear about the work we are doing.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks:
- Full medical, dental, and vision with optional 70% coverage for dependents
- Flexible vacation policy
- Commuter Benefit stipend
- Generous parental leave
- Paid time off to volunteer
Please note that these benefits and perks are available only to Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor values Openness
Our team celebrates our diverse backgrounds. We believe that being open about who we are and what we do allows us to be better. Individuals seeking employment at Opendoor are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other protected status under all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.