Associate General Counsel - Product at Opendoor
San Francisco, CA, US
Are you intrigued by the thought of disrupting a trillion dollar industry through technology? At Opendoor, we’re on a mission to make it simple to buy and sell homes. The traditional process is broken, with an average home taking over 90 days to sell and costing thousands of dollars. We empower everyone with the freedom to move by making buying and selling a home stress-free and instant. We’ve built an exceptional team, seen strong growth, served nearly 75,000 customers (with an annual run rate of $5 billion), and raised $1.3 billion in funding. With Covid-19, the world is changing, and real estate is no exception. The coming years present a tremendous opportunity for innovation as we explore new frontiers and scale nationwide.
About the role:
We’re looking for a versatile and intellectually curious senior legal counsel to support Opendoor’s core home buying and selling services, as well as our adjacent services, which could include just about every service associated with a home sale (mortgage, inspection, brokerage services, home customization, insurance, warranties).
As an Associate General Counsel - Product, you will:
- Partner with product and operational business teams at Opendoor to ensure our products, marketing, and processes comply with law and put our customers first
- Articulate complicated legal concepts to variety of audiences/stakeholders
- Step outside your expertise and get up to speed on new lines of business
- Advise on day-to-day inquiries as they arise, see new lines of business from concept to launch, and be a calm resource in case of escalations
We are looking for teammates who have:
- JD and a minimum of eight (8) years of legal experience. In-house experience with a rapidly growing consumer-facing technology company is preferred.
- Membership in the California or Arizona Bar (in good standing) or eligibility to register as Registered In-House Counsel.
- Knowledge of and experience applying statutory frameworks and industry guidelines (e.g., TILA, RESPA, FDCPA, TCPA, CAN-SPAM, CCPA).
- The following are significant plusses:
- A demonstrated interest or focus in data security and/or privacy.
- Experience with or interest in the real estate industry. We’re passionate about our mission to transform the home buying and selling experience.
- Experience drafting and negotiating commercial transactions, including partnership, licensing, and vendor agreements.
More About Us
Want to learn more about us and how we are revolutionizing the home buying and selling process? Learn more about us on our website, check out our profile on The Muse to learn more about our culture from our team members, or read our blog posts to hear about the work we are doing.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks:
- Full medical, dental, and vision with optional 70% coverage for dependents
- Flexible vacation policy
- Commuter Benefit stipend
- Generous parental leave
- Paid time off to volunteer
Please note that these benefits and perks are available only to Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor values Openness
Our team celebrates our diverse backgrounds. We believe that being open about who we are and what we do allows us to be better. Individuals seeking employment at Opendoor are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other protected status under all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.