Senior Software Engineer at Opendoor
Atlanta, GA, US
Are you intrigued by the thought of disrupting a trillion dollar industry through technology? At Opendoor, we’re on a mission to make it simple to buy and sell homes. The traditional process is broken, with an average home taking over 90 days to sell and costing thousands of dollars. We empower everyone with the freedom to move by making buying and selling a home stress-free and instant. We’ve built an exceptional team, seen strong growth, served nearly 75,000 customers (with an annual run rate of $5 billion), and raised $1.3 billion in funding. With Covid-19, the world is changing, and real estate is no exception. The coming years present a tremendous opportunity for innovation as we explore new frontiers and scale nationwide.
About the Role:
Home operations at Opendoor has the mission to build tools that help operators perform more tasks successfully, in less time, thereby improving productivity, reducing costs, and enabling our mission to build the lowest cost platform for our customers. We are also tackling the hard trust & safety problem with the mission to deliver a safe and secure experience for home shoppers, neighbors, communities and employees.
As a senior member of our engineering team, you will have the opportunity to iterate on design and development of platforms, tools, and services integral to our success. You will have the right guidance, empowerment, and trust of leadership to lead impactful initiatives and truly operate with a startup mentality creating founding moments. You will be embedded in cross functional teams and have the opportunity to lead requirement analysis, prototyping, and efforts to scale our tooling suite.
Operating as a product engineer, you will be end-goal driven. Besides just writing good quality code and building lean solutions, you will have the unique opportunity to strive and develop an awareness of the constraints we operate under as a fast-paced startup. Your impact will be a reflection of how well you understand cost, scalability, and resourcing implications of your design and implementation choices in any given context.
Your responsibilities willl include:
- Contributing to all phases of software development including ideation, prototyping, design and production
- Building products, tools and services from scratch, as well as evolve existing systems
- Applying your technical expertise to guide the team in making intelligent and pragmatic design decisions
- Influencing the technology and architectural roadmap of the engineering teams
- Playing an active role in hiring and mentoring other engineers
We’re looking for teammates who have:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
- 6+ years of track record in building and delivering production quality software systems
- Experience with front-end technologies, including React and/or React Native as well as experience with Go, Python, or Ruby
- Expertise in service oriented architectures, distributed systems, machine learning, algorithms, databases and front-end technologies
- A knack for raising the right concerns at the right time to make good judgment calls on prioritization of the work
- Depth and breadth in multiple technologies ranging from frontend user interfaces to backend services to databases
- Excellent communication skills, high attention to detail and proven ability to use metrics to drive decisions
- A sense of ownership and a passion for delighting customers through innovation and creative solutions to complex problems
More About Us
Want to learn more about us and how we are revolutionizing the home buying and selling process? Learn more about us on our website, check out our profile on The Muse to learn more about our culture from our team members, or read our blog posts to hear about the work we are doing.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks:
- Full medical, dental, and vision with optional 70% coverage for dependents
- Flexible vacation policy
- Commuter Benefit stipend
- Generous parental leave
- Paid time off to volunteer
Please note that these benefits and perks are available only to Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor values Openness
Our team celebrates our diverse backgrounds. We believe that being open about who we are and what we do allows us to be better. Individuals seeking employment at Opendoor are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other protected status under all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.