Senior Mortgage Underwriter, Opendoor Home Loans at Opendoor
Plano, TX, US
Are you intrigued by the thought of disrupting a trillion dollar industry through technology? At Opendoor, we’re on a mission to make it simple to buy and sell homes. The traditional process is broken, with an average home taking over 90 days to sell and costing thousands of dollars. We empower everyone with the freedom to move by making buying and selling a home stress-free and instant. We’ve built an exceptional team, seen strong growth, served nearly 75,000 customers (with an annual run rate of $5 billion), and raised $1.3 billion in funding. With Covid-19, the world is changing, and real estate is no exception. The coming years present a tremendous opportunity for innovation as we explore new frontiers and scale nationwide.
About the Role:
The Senior Mortgage Underwriter is responsible for the evaluation of the borrower(s) overall creditworthiness. These operations include, but are not limited to, evaluating the mortgage loan application and documents provided by the customer in a timely manner, ensure loans adhere to investor and agency guidelines, managing personal pipeline and ensuring all applications are within SLA, responding and providing status information to all other internal interested parties. The Senior Mortgage Underwriter is responsible for rendering loan approvals or declines based on investor and agency guidelines and overlays.
As a Senior Mortgage Underwriter, you will:
- Maintain daily pipeline management and team SLAs
- Meet all quality metrics as communicated by management
- Sustain proficiency in all investor and company guidelines
- Ensure adherence to policies, guidelines and procedures as well as compliance regulations (HMDA, TILA, RESPA, HOEPA, FCRA and ECOA) and credit guidelines
- Assist with renegotiation of loans base on credit guidelines
- Analyze and review financial statements, credit reports and all other applicable documentation in order to render a firm underwriting decision
- Ensure achievement and maintenance of performance standards to keep loans flowing into appropriate loan operations queues
- Coordinate with other Mortgage Loan Operations contacts to ensure work distribution and pipeline managers provide optimal service level agreements
- Provide training and advisement and help aid in performance improvement and development of fellow underwriters
- Assist with QA/QC reviews and rebuttals
- Communicate, demonstrate and inspires others to incorporate Opendoor’s vision and core values in daily activities
We're looking for teammates who have:
- Thorough understanding of Government (FHA, VA) and Conventional (Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac)
- Strong analytical skills and decision-making ability to make lending decisions and translate guidelines
- The ability to work independently and as a team; ability to garner support and collaborate with others
- The ability to motivate and encourage team and peers
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment
More About Us
Want to learn more about us and how we are revolutionizing the home buying and selling process? Learn more about us on our website, check out our profile on The Muse to learn more about our culture from our team members, or read our blog posts to hear about the work we are doing.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks:
- Full medical, dental, and vision with optional 70% coverage for dependents
- Flexible vacation policy
- Commuter Benefit stipend
- Generous parental leave
- Paid time off to volunteer
Please note that these benefits and perks are available only to Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor values Openness
Our team celebrates our diverse backgrounds. We believe that being open about who we are and what we do allows us to be better. Individuals seeking employment at Opendoor are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other protected status under all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.