Principal Software Engineer at VTS
New York, US
VTS is the fastest-growing Proptech company in the history of commercial real estate (CRE). We have transformed a $15 trillion dollar industry with our award-winning platform which is used by more than 750 of the world’s leading landlords to manage their assets, tenants, and leasing processes. We’re continuing to expand our product offerings and are building the industry’s first and only end-to-end leasing marketplace, truva.com. Truva will enable landlords to market their available spaces more effectively, and help tenant rep brokers and their tenants easily find and lease space online – a process that has traditionally been offline and difficult.
It’s an exciting time to join the VTS team – we recently reached unicorn status after raising $90 million in series D funding led by our clients (believed to be the largest venture financing in the history of commercial real estate software), we recently made the Forbes Cloud 100 list of the hottest private cloud companies, and were named one of Crain's best places to work!
Our headquarters are in NYC, but we have hubs in other major US cities, Toronto, CA and London, UK.
Learn more at vts.com or follow us on Instagram (@WeAreVTS), Twitter (@WeAreVTS), or LinkedIn.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Our mission is to be Commercial Real Estate’s modern operating system, the place where deals happen, customer relationships are nourished, and real-time market data comes to life. We're growing at an incredible pace and are looking for a Principal Engineer to join our growing platform team in New York City. We're looking for a thought leader for our engineering team, motivated to help us rethink how we build software, drive those changes across engineering, and eager to continue growing and mentoring.
Help us scale our business to meet the needs of our growing customer base and develop new products on the VTS platform. You'll be a critical part of our growing company, working on a cross-functional team to implement best practices and raising the bar in technology, architecture, and process. You’ll have the chance to work in an open and collaborative environment, receive and give hands-on mentorship and make a significant impact on our business’ next phase of growth.
How does this position help VTS succeed?
- Influence the direction of the foundation group, ensuring we continue to solve the most important challenges to VTS’ infrastructure
- Lead the way by staying up to date with tools, trends, technologies and best practices, and then sharing that knowledge in a meaningful way to advance the overall state of technology for the entire organization
- You will own key areas within our platform by envisioning, designing, creating, building and supporting key components of the VTS infrastructure, which needs to operate with a high degree of operational excellence
- Support and mentor our senior and staff engineers by being the go-to-person for questions but never be a bottleneck, see around the corner and anticipate engineers' needs, broadly distribute knowledge, and generally evangelize the platform
- Be responsible for software architecture including determination of current limitations and compatibilities between subsystems, selection of new concepts and methodology, and development of major components
- Lead by example and produce high-quality code that establishes coding standards and best practices for the team
- Create technical requirements, software design specifications and other forms of architectural documentation
- Investigate and resolve application issues, bottlenecks, and inefficiencies
- Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience
- Effectively communicate technical and business risks to stakeholders to ensure that the most informed decisions are being made
- Play a critical role in planning, working closely with senior leaders to develop plans, resource requirements, and influence our long-term technical and business strategy
What makes you a great fit?
- Solid CS fundamentals with experience across a range of disciplines, with more than one area of deep knowledge and experience
- 10+ years of software engineering experience, with a proven track record of leading large-scale, high availability and fault-tolerant SaaS or consumer applications
- Proven track record of senior technical leadership at a company with a strong engineering culture
- Extensive experience with web applications development, web services, and distributed systems
- Deep understanding of system performance trade-offs, load balancing, and engineering for high availability.
- Extensive experience with database design, queueing, caching, containers, APIs, security and the operational aspects of running large systems
- Excellent planning/execution skills including estimating and schedulingExtensive experience designing, building and owning large scale distributed systems
- Capable of driving and delivering thin slices of end-to-end functionality on a regular cadence with data-driven feedback loops
- Strong problem-solving skills; adaptable, proactive and willing to take ownership and deal with ambiguity
- The ability to work in a highly collaborative environment
- Strong customer empathy and a focus on quality
- Ability to create consensus among passionate stakeholders in a dynamic, fast-paced environment through excellent verbal and written communication skills
More about our team
- We have a 70+ person engineering team
- We work in small, cross-functional teams that include product managers, designers, and QA, grouped in outcome-oriented “houses”
- We value continuous learning in our everyday work
- We deploy daily and rely heavily on automated testing and CI
- We use agile development and lean startup principles and practices to deliver products
- We work with technologies like Ruby on Rails, React, Heroku, Postgres, AWS, Swift, Android, Python, and Kafka
- Learn more on our engineering blogLearn more on our engineering blog
What VTS values & how we show it
- Strive for Excellence - We know your potential is unlimited. Take advantage of our executive coaches and our training and career development programs available to all employees!
- Be Customer Obsessed - We’re employee obsessed too! VTS offers competitive compensation, comprehensive health benefits (including dental and vision), pre-tax commuter benefits, and a 401(k) plan. Not to mention the fun stuff - monthly happy hours, wellness events, clubs, and team lunches!
- Be Curious - Benefit from a culture that promotes new learning. VTS offers an education stipend to all employees!
- Move as One - We work in an open floor plan to promote cross-functional collaboration.
- Take Ownership - Be an owner of the company you’re building with our equity packages.
- Appreciate the Difference - VTS embraces and celebrates diversity. We understand the importance of a strong work-life balance. We offer a flexible PTO policy, generous family leave program, and more!
VTS embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.