We are looking for experienced backend engineers excited to solve a $14 billion problem from scratch.
You are fired up to:
- Use your raw engineering intuition to revolutionize a 150 year old industry
- Help design pragmatic, extensible architecture to evolve our core underwriting and title processing products
- Create and integrate a platform for machine learning and predictive analytics that will materially differentiate our business
- Elegantly integrate clunky 3rd-party systems that fulfill lots of requirements but often speak SOAP and may not be totally reliable or documented
- Learn and leverage the ins and outs of complex, valuable problem domains
- Generate high-quality code in balance with rapid feature delivery
- Wisdom equivalent to:
- 3-6 years contributing to full-stack or backend projects, ideally across a variety of professional contexts (e.g. start-ups and large companies, or consumer- and business-facing applications)
- Strong opinions, loosely held, about all things engineering
- Product- and business-minded pragmatism
- Creative and practical approaches to architecting software systems
- Robust, auditable, and automatically-tested software fit for financial services
- Technical professionalism: maintainable, readable, extensible design and implementation
- Collaboration with - and inclusion of - a diverse team of both technical and non-technical colleagues
We are working on something pretty exciting.
Our vision is to make homeownership simpler, safer, and more accessible.
Our first step is reinventing title insurance.
We are unlocking an enormous business opportunity.
American homeowners spent $14.3 billion on title insurance in 2016. Less than 5% of that money went back into their pockets in the form of payments on claims. Instead, nearly all of it funded a slow, inefficient, and manual research process most comparable to a librarian searching a card catalog.
We don't see card catalogs at libraries anymore, and we believe we've found a way to offer homeowners, brokers, and mortgage bankers better service at a lower price, without requiring mass-scale adoption of nascent technologies like blockchain.
We are making a genuine, real-world impact on the lives of millions of Americans.
Homeownership is broken, and we are doing our part to fix it. When most Americans sell the most valuable asset they will own in their lives - their home - they often lose a full 10% of its value to the fees and frictions that exist in today's real estate market. Additionally, the lengthy, bewildering, and unpredictable process incurs an emotional and stressful toll on first-time and experienced homeowners alike.
By simplifying and expediting services like title insurance, we can make the dream of homeownership more attainable and less risky, and we can help current and future homeowners save time and money that they can better invest into more meaningful parts of their lives.
Our approach involves significant technical challenge.
Our approach requires modern predictive analytics, high-performance APIs, flexible and adaptable data ontologies and rules engines, comprehensive automated testing, and thoughtfully architected audit logs. We are starting completely from scratch, but off-the-shelf software packages can fulfill most of our tablestakes product requirements, allowing us to focus nearly entirely on code that makes us different.
We don't expect there will ever be a boring day!
We want the work you do here to be the best work of your life.
We believe the most valuable investment we can make - and the greatest boost we can give to your career - is to build an outstanding team of colleagues who are passionate about our mission.
We currently offer the following benefits and will continually evolve them with the goal of efficiently attracting, retaining, and leveraging the very highest quality talent.
- Our passionate, capable team will always be our #1 benefit
- We are proud of the team we have built so far, and we are excited about the team we have yet to add
- Learn something new every day
- Get more done than you would anywhere else
- Top-of-the-line computer equipment
- Highly competitive salaries and stock option grants
- Health, dental, and vision benefits for you and your family
- Flexible work hours
- Unlimited vacation policy
- A modern, helpful 401(k) plan (thanks to Captain401)
- Wellness and commuter benefits
We believe in Equal Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.